Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Re: [OH Updates] Degrees of open-ness in EDA (and CAD in general)

On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:28 AM, John Griessen wrote:

> On 09/04/2011 08:10 AM, John Griessen wrote:
>> I could use some help with this write up!
>>
>> I'll write something up and ask for reviews soon.
>>
>> John

Including both printed circuit and VLSI layout tools. Also simulation tools. New netlist exporters often take only a few hours of work.

Generation of printed schematics, netists, and bills of materials can be automated by Unix-style scripting and Makefiles. These can thus be combined with other tools that create simulation results, programs, documentation, and other data products, making it easy to automate generation of deliverables for a complete project, not just its electrical part.

The gedasymbols.org website is a great community resource for the exchange of symbols, footprints, specialized processing scripts, etc.

>  Handles making hierarchic
> schematics so elements can be repeated by schematic page instances placed once.

This also facilitates reuse of parts of old schematics in new designs.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx