Re: gEDA-user: gEDA request for volunteers

   On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:01 AM, John Griessen <[1]john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

     -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [OH Updates] Degrees
     of open-ness in EDA (and CAD in general) Date: Sat, 3 Sep
     2011 18:58:40 -0400 From: phillip torrone <[2]pt@xxxxxxxxxxx> To:
     updates <[3]updates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     john,
     can you write up what's needed for gEDA in a couple paragraphs? i'll
     post it up on MAKE. be specific and what folks who want to
     help need to do and how to contact/join the gEDA community.

     1. what is geda
     gEDA is a schematic editor and netlister capable of working with
     many open and proprietary physical layout tools
     including VLSI layout, simulation.

   [snip]
   It might be nice to include this concise list somewhere on the main
   page of the gEDA website for newcomers to get a look at the immensity
   of this powerful tool. As I haven't yet  found this type of list which
   provides a concise view of the available features. I had always likes
   the thought of using open EDA Tools. I've switched back n forth a
   couple of times over the years and I'm now again settled into gEDA
   again. I worked --been forced to ;)  with many commercial EDA tools in
   my time while working for different companies, and having to learn new
   commands just to create a design.
   But one thing that you notice many times with these commercial tools is
   this type of Feature list which headlines the various important aspects
   and features of the tool suite - such as this one that was just posted
   here on this thread. I think you don't get the impression so easily of
   how powerful this can be from reading the FAQ's or diving straight into
   the documentation.
   Perhaps some additional detail could be appended to this "feature
   list"- so others beside me -- who are looking to switch over [or
   return]-- could probably benefit knowing what's available inside this
   tool and then navigate to the appropriate documentation to read
   further.
   It seems to be a reason why the openEDA tools arena have forked over
   the decades with different breeds of tool suites -- everything from
   another schematic entry too to another pcb tool --  because they fail
   to grasp the scope of this immense tool suite and instead begin new
   software development when they could have made a contribution to this
   group instead.
   I'm from a hardware background and only dabble in programming, but I
   always like the fact I could one day to 'give it a try' and possibly
   add a new feature to this tool suite.
   =Dan