Re: gEDA-user: essential library -- plaese comment.

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 01:39:02AM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 00:15 +0400, Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:
> > The symbols are nice, but there are special state standards in Russia
> > about what should they look like.
>
> If you can get hold of a copy of the standard for us to look at, that
> might be useful.
In regard to Russian standards (and standards of most republics of
ex-USSR) I can say that currently our standards also are expensive and
protected by law (reprint is prohibited). But versions of the standards
printed in USSR and scanned after there are placed at web-pages and are
free. I don't know whether they would be useful for somebody here, since
all they are in Russian. I believe the most of their contents meets IEC.
Old Russian standards probably have more restrictive requirements for
sizes. Although the requirements are probably not so hard currently and
you can use any units for sizes. I can provide you with some links (see
below).

> I believe some European countries follow IEC standards for symbols.
> Shame the IEC standards are so darned expensive and hard to get.

About IEC. A lot of state standards of several countries are meeting IEC
partly or fully.  For example, EN standards are IEC adopted in EU and
they have the same numbers.  (For example, UK EN standards have prefix
BS).

Links to relevant Russian state standards (GOST) I have gathered are at
	http://vzhbanov.byethost33.com/geda/gost
There are comments there about matching IEC noted in the documents
themselves.  There are currently no comments about matching ISO.

And just try to find EN standards instead of IEC and you probably find
what you want. Just try to enter "EN 60617" in Google (without "BS" :)).
Some documents were translated into European languages some time ago.
And they are leaving free despite the current IEC policy.  For example,
I have found several documents in different languages. Here is what I've
found:

German/French (EN 60617-2/-11:1996 == IEC 60617-2/-11:1996):
  http://cpnv-automation.ch/doc/ref_617.pdf
Portuguese?:
	http://amsfrancisco.planetaclix.pt/download/Outros/IEC_60617.pdf
Russian:
	http://www.moeller.ru/wiringmanual/norm006.html
Slovak?: IEC 60617 tutorial
	http://people.tuke.sk/stanislav.ilenin/eis/Technicka%20dokumentacia%20v%20elektrotechnike.pdf
English: (parts of "IEEE standard 91-1984"). Probably a bit outdated version of
current IEC standard. At least some of its items in more recent version of IEC
60617-12 (2001) are marked as withdrawn or replaced:
	http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/sdyz001a/sdyz001a.pdf

Eventually I've found a full text of all parts of IEC 60617 on one
Russian site. But the text has note that that document is:
	Not for reproduction or distribution
So it seems to me its using (and providing you with the link to that site) to
be not legal. Therefore I can't provide you with that link.

My thoughts of using standards for creating symbols for gschem.

I believe the best way to create gschem symbols library would be to make
symbols meeting IEC standards. I know, those are expensive, but there
are documents noticed above and a lot of countries (including probably all
countries of Europe, North America and others) are using them as their own
state standards. Moreover, if gschem users would make symbols using those
standards, it will eliminate a lot of redundant work. Each of such a
symbol we could add to the common geda library, checking only pin
numbers. Imagine a button in gschem "submit symbol to repository" and
after some approval it would be there.

My English is poor, sorry. If you have any questions, you're welcome.

--
VZh