Re: gEDA-user: CERN goes for KiCAD

Hello John,

I am really happy (and a bit of surprised) that critical postings are
still allowed for this list.

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 22:07 -0400, John Hudak wrote:
> You might want to consider import/export capability for the most widely
>    used commercial product (not sure what that is at the moment).

Import/Export is fine for all free/open available formats. Unfortunately
many important formats are not free, so we would have to do reverse
engineering or use confidential leaked documentation. Some of us refuse
to do that, including me. An example is the specctre format.

>    You may want to consider the following as well:
>    1) An updated tutorial that is accurate

Yes, to make simple minded people happy we need all that. Smart people
seems to have not really big problems with current gEDA state. The
problem with simple minded people (like me :-) ) is, that they are
consumers (stupid and greedy), with no intention and skills to really
contribute. And they do not understand or care about the difference
between free speech and free beer.

Many of your points are easily  to fix even for people with no
programming skills, ie. writing new, really fine documentation. But it
is hard, boring work, so I do understand  that the developers prefer
coding. DJ has done it very well with his
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/docs/gs/gs.html
-- unfortunately some beginners miss that tutorial. And it would be fine
to have a few more clean and consistent documents like this.

Do you think all that is really better for other tools?
I am not convinced.

Best regards,

Stefan Salewski