Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

> I noticed that the Mac is
>   also supported, but it's practically a given since it's basically uinx
>   underneath.

The difference between Windows and Mac here is that Charles Lepple has routinely packaged new releases for Fink on MacOSX, while the various Windows installers have been one-shot deals. Nobody has stepped forward to do this as a routine job for each new release of gEDA on Windows.

> We shouldn't disparage the user as we do with other platforms -
>   although we do try to "bring them over" in many cases.

I don't think there's any tendency to disparage Windows users here. There is a tendency to be annoyed with demands that the gEDA project create Windows binaries. The gEDA project basically creates source code. For other systems, there are communities of package maintainers (real heroes!) who do the work of ferreting out incompatibilities and creating the binaries. That kind of community effort has not taken hold in the Windows world.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx