Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:53 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Nobody has stepped forward to do this as a routine job for each new
>> release of gEDA on Windows.
>
> Yes, I have.  Peter and I have been working on the details, but I've
> been doing automated builds of geda for windows for a while now.  I
> just haven't advertised them much because we're still testing and
> debugging them.  And PCB has had windows releases in the past with
> some regularity anyway, the big problem is that the release relied on
> a now-obsolete cygwin feature, so we have to cross-build them
> now.

OK, so you and Peter intend to take on the additional burden of routinely packaging for Windows? Above and beyond the call of duty for a developer, I think.

>> I don't think there's any tendency to disparage Windows users here.
>
> The geda web site explicitly says that windows users are not
> supported.  And there's plenty of history on the mailing list saying
> that the "regulars" would rather not have windows users involved.

I think you misread the mailing list. We "regulars" would rather not torque the project around to be Windows-centric. But I have no objection to bringing Windows users on board: Peter can tell you that I've privately thanked him for his (lower key) efforts here in the past. Some of my customers use Windows: it's handy for them to be able to display and edit the schematics themselves.

> We've done a poor job of making potential windows users welcome and it
> will take quite a bit of work to reverse that.

We've done exactly as much to make Windows users welcome as we've done for Mac users. The difference is that the Mac community (in the persons of Charles Lepple and whoever packages for MacPorts) has stepped up here while the Windows community has not.

>> There is a tendency to be annoyed with demands that the gEDA project
>> create Windows binaries.
>
> There is a tendency to be annoyed with demands for *anything*, but we
> do recognize the need for windows support and we *are* working on it.

I don't see that as a developer responsibility, but I'm all for it, especially if you guys can sustain it. The problem with past Windows binaries is that they've been one-shot deals.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx