Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools

> OK, so you and Peter intend to take on the additional burden of
> routinely packaging for Windows?

The plan is to automate it so that there is no burden, aside from the
usual dealings with bug reports, but that's no more than what we do
for other platforms.

> I think you misread the mailing list.

No, there are examples of what I noted, although I hope the "we want
windows" posts outnumber them.

> > We've done a poor job of making potential windows users welcome and it
> > will take quite a bit of work to reverse that.
>
> We've done exactly as much to make Windows users welcome as we've
> done for Mac users. The difference is that the Mac community (in the
> persons of Charles Lepple and whoever packages for MacPorts) has
> stepped up here while the Windows community has not.

And the Mac community has a much lower barrier to entry, since they're
already based on a Unix platform.  We *have* had windows folks step up
before (especially Cesar, who designed the windows build system), we
just never got the momentum and automation required to keep it going.

> I don't see that as a developer responsibility, but I'm all for it,
> especially if you guys can sustain it. The problem with past Windows
> binaries is that they've been one-shot deals.

Well, developers have to code for *a* platform, there's no such thing
a truly platform-agnostic code any more.  But yeah, we're trying to
make this an ongoing thing.