Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools

> From: jpd@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:16:45 -0600
> To: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools
>
> OK, so you and Peter intend to take on the additional burden of routinely packaging for Windows? Above and beyond the call of duty for a developer, I think.

Is that so big task after all? If package is compiled automagically and installer is told to do small changes to work and before release it is tested better? Support for Windows specific things requires some (huge) effort.

> I think you misread the mailing list. We "regulars" would rather not torque the project around to be Windows-centric. But I have no objection to bringing Windows users on board: Peter can tell you that I've privately thanked him for his (lower key) efforts here in the past. Some of my customers use Windows: it's handy for them to be able to display and edit the schematics themselves.

Indeed. It is frustrating to send PDF and receive some paint whatever modifications and at least situations where documentation is inserted to schematics and so on making notes to it would be great. Just to get zooming and panning is one big thing when trying to understand device.

> We've done exactly as much to make Windows users welcome as we've done for Mac users. The difference is that the Mac community (in the persons of Charles Lepple and whoever packages for MacPorts) has stepped up here while the Windows community has not.

I believe also that there could be some it's not working mails but after all there might be good reports and some development could be also done on Windows. This however requires that geda and PCB could be compiled natively on Windows.

> I don't see that as a developer responsibility, but I'm all for it, especially if you guys can sustain it. The problem with past Windows binaries is that they've been one-shot deals.

Indeed. If Windows version doesn't change and differ too much from UNIX build I don't see that many problems. It might be be doable task to provide versions to Windows and also provide some value to customers who think between KiCAD and gEDA. One good thing about KiCAD is its Windows support. I know at least one place where PCB's are made with KiCAD and simulations with QUCS. To capture schematics from simulation to KiCAD is worth of one persons job.

Hannu Vuolasaho