Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:44:21 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That's great!  How coincidental that I just opened up my mail
> > client to post to the list about how I could not find a Windows
> > build of gEDA!
> >
> > I want to recommend gEDA to colleagues and online contacts, but
> > unless I can point them to a one-click Windows download, gEDA won't
> > be considered -- it'll surely be KiCad or (grimace) EAGLE.
>
> You didn't notice my posting last week about my nightly
> geda-for-windows builds?  Or that a big part of the upcoming pcb
> release is a windows installer?
>
> Sigh.
>
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/geda-windows/

Well, I wasn't looking for a Windows build at the moment when you
sent that message, and I don't have time to pay attention to every
message on every mailing list.

Yesterday, I needed to refer someone to a gEDA Windows installer,
so I went to (surprise!) the gEDA web site at gpleda.org.

> Note: this is mingw-based, not cygwin-based, and the installer exe
> only installs pcb at the moment (unzip the build-*.zip to get an
> "everything" install)

So is mingw-based better so the user doesn't have a huge cygwin
installation in their c:\cygwin?  It would be nice to have a more
self-contained install.  How much Unix tools does gEDA really need
to run?  Just the Scheme interpreter?  Is m4 required if you don't
use m4 footprint libraries?

Regards,
Colin