Re: gEDA-user: cygwin geda tools

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:43:46 -0600
John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Colin D Bennett wrote:
>
> > How much Unix tools does gEDA really need
> > to run?  Just the Scheme interpreter?
>
> Optional tools need a variety of support, e.g. Perl for refdes_renum, Python
> for tragesym. To participate in gedasymbols.org, you need CVS, and
> some of the scripts there use AWK. Some design flows use Make. gEDA
> can export netlist data to many tools, but of course you'd need the
> tool in question to actually use this capability.

I'd like to allow a new user to be up and drawing schematics in a
few minutes.  New users shouldn't have to worry about details of
scripted symbol generation or netlist export until it is necessary.

All the more advanced pieces like Makefile-driven automation,
scripted symbol generation, netlist export, and so on are a
different story and that's fine if the user needs to install Python
or Perl or Cygwin to run some more advanced tools.

> gEDA is *not* a self-contained system. Hurray for that!

Sure! that's great since it shows that it can be further enhanced
with new scripts and tools, and your designs are not locked into
some secret file format.

Regards,
Colin