Re: Gnome

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Birger Langkjer wrote:
> >
> > > Is it fast? That's my main problem with KDE.
> >

> Is it slow due to memory use (you hear the disk paging) or due to CPU
> power?  I have found that on slow boxes (read a P75) movement of
Well, it's mostly slow when it starts a new program, eg. Netscape takes
long time to load. You can almost click the icon and then go put the
kettle on ;-)

There _is_ a swap problem, but it only starts when kfm have run for
while.
It generates a whole bunch of tmpfiles in memory called 'kioslave?'

Maybe I should get some more ram, since it's so cheap, but looking at
the
inside of my PC it looks like I'll have to disassemble the whole thing
install the extra ramcards.

> windows tends to lag behind.  Atonishibgly opaque move is a lot faster
> than KDE's transparent move so turn it on.
'xcuse my ignorance, but what is opaque move?

--
Birger Langkjer
http://members.xoom.com/langkjer/