Re: Gnome

> jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > Is it slow due to memory use (you hear the disk paging) or due to CPU
> > power?  I have found that on slow boxes (read a P75) movement of
> Well, it's mostly slow when it starts a new program, eg. Netscape takes
> long time to load. You can almost click the icon and then go put the
> kettle on ;-)

Netscape has ever had pathetic memory management.  That is one of the
reasons Mozilla is badly needed.

> There _is_ a swap problem, but it only starts when kfm have run for
> while.
> It generates a whole bunch of tmpfiles in memory called 'kioslave?'

This is a "feature" of KDE.  I cannot do nothing about it.

> Maybe I should get some more ram, since it's so cheap, but looking at
> the
> inside of my PC it looks like I'll have to disassemble the whole thing
> install the extra ramcards.

Or drop navigator and use Opera (payware) or mozilla (still unstable)

> > windows tends to lag behind.  Atonishibgly opaque move is a lot faster
> > than KDE's transparent move so turn it on.
> 'xcuse my ignorance, but what is opaque move?

In opaque move you see the whole window moving with its contents still
displayed.  In transparent move you only see the outline but in KDE
you see the outline and a semi-transparent zone where the title bar
was.  It seems that moving this semi-transparent zone requires lots of
CPU power.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org