Re: Suggestion on structure of Graphics section of repository

> > > If you want to build an RPM who does not conflict with KDE you must
> > > use shared files and AFAIK that is only possible if you make it with
> > > the same SRPM.
> >
> > Is this  an issue if we use a static build ?
>
> Yes. I was thinking in the user who first installs the standalone kdvi
> and decides one day to install KDE.  There will be a conflict if we
> didn't generate them from the same SRPM (shared files).

I'm not sure I understand this point yet..
I was thinking of shared libraries when you first mentioned it, but static
builds should take care of that problem now that KDE is in 1.0x and its
interface is not changing so drastically.
So, what are the "shared files" you are discussing?

> > > -SVGAlib is an inherent security problem because every program using
> > >  it must be setuid root.  SVGAlib is ideal for one day needing
> > >  anti-virus programs on Linux.
> >
> > the last time I remember crashing my machine was when I tried using an
> > SVGAlib package (-:.

The *only* time I've crashed linux due to mere software was with SVGAlib.
It's a good thing for linux newbies to avoid, so that they can become
disabused of their ideas that home computers are meant to crash on a regular
basis ;-)

I wonder how long before GGI matures...
Sophisticated games would actually be a really good thing to show off the
leanness of the linux kernel
"How can you be playing Total Anhilation on a 486??????"
"Linux. *grin*" =^]

(Well I can always dream can't I ;)

                              S. Lockwood
                         sjl@zorbas.ece.ucsb.edu