Security matters

I keep hearing about "script kiddies" and more and more Linux cracking
going on.  Would it be a good idea to close up some of the worst
vulnerabilites?  For us beginners, it's hard to figure out how to turn off
all those unneeded services.  Here in the US, it's common to stay online
for hours at a time, and I'm getting concerned about it.

I know Bastille Linux is also based on Red Hat, and there are various
scripts floating around ....  I think after ease-of-use, security could be
a secondary objective.  [Yes, I know that security is antithical to
ease-of-use.]

If I'm asking too much, I'll quietly go back to my corner. :-)

--Louis

PS Sorry about the double post, I wasn't paying attention.