Re: Inde CD

 R G Mayhue

>I believe there are several people who can burn CD's on this list. I
>can also burn CD's, I'm in New Port Richey, Florida (Tampa Bay area).
>Maybe we can act as a very low level distribution point for Indy 0.2,
>each in his own area, until we get a large CD producer interested.
>(Good idea | Bad idea ??)

Great. We probably have many watching Jean work who can produce a CD. Was
at Staples the other day and they had 50 CD-W pack, no cases or slip
covers for $20 or so.

To the volunteers willing to make a few or a bunch of CDs, could we get
one person who has all the necessary files on one CD to send it to one of
us and then the other could pass it along, after making a copy, of
course.

>Anybody know who we should contact about maybe getting Indy put on a
>CD?? Or after Indy's release, should we just start writing and asking
>for Indy CD's to get someone interested?

I suppose each person could announce on Usenet that they have the Indy
distribution and willing to pass it along for postage and CD cost. I know
this lets someone try to scam someone out of some money, maybe we could
put out a list on the Indy server of those who will make the Indy CD
available. Just rambling!

>BTW, I wrote a little DOS/Windows batch program called WGETINDY. It
>uses the GNU wget-1.5.3 non-interactive download utility compiled for
>Windows to fetch which ever version of Indy the user wants so it can be
>used as a hard drive install from within the Indy installer. The
>program uses a system menus to act as a wizard so the user dose not
>need to learn how to use wget to download Indy.
>
>The program offers the user a choice between mirroring the full CD
>distribution, a "Smart" ftp download option which gets only the files
>needed for the install to save hard drive space and Internet bandwidth
>or the difference files needed to upgrade a Red Hat distribution to
>Indy. The "Smart" ftp download also offers an "English Only" option to
>save additional space by only downloading the English HOWTO's.

I'm using it now, RG, I'm just letting it do its thing! Although many of
the files I already have, I just want to try and make up a useable CD
that will include the Red Hat 5.2 version and the Indy "upgrade." Don't
know exactly how but thought I'd give it a try.

>Other "language only" options will be added later when I finish a newer
>compiled version written in C (when time permits). The time needed to
>add all of the other language options to a DOS batch file would be
>better spent writing a more "foolproof" version. I may also include
>the making of the floppies needed to start the installer to help
>automate the entire process, from download to install.
>
>This will (for now) help with the questions of: "What files do I need to
>download to get Indy?" and "What files do I need to upgrade a Red Hat
>5.2 release to Indy 5.2-0.1?" I started with a DOS/Windows version
>first because I found a lot of people who want to try Indy already
>have a working Windows OS, and no other way to download it. This is how
>I got Indy installed on my box, and it works.

There are some files that are not on the server, RG. Did you put into
your program what files to download?

Been going for 9 hours and 120 megs have been downloaded.

I would like the option of saving it to a different disk. Been mice to
save it to my SCSI MO drive and the CPU would be bypassed. A thought.

Mentioned this thing about the non-programmers demanding of programmers,
guilty!

Bud