RE: Inde CD

> On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 Romulus15@aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 8/15/99 9:49:44 PM Eastern Daylight
> Time, lee@insync.net
> > writes:
> >
> > << As far as making a CD bootable, the question is,
> bootable into what?  Some
> >  type of image that runs like the floppies?  From DOS?  What? >>
> >
> > Make it just like the current RH cd.  It boots directly
> into the setup
> > program.  Let's make it easy for people.  Also, when we
> distrib. the cd's do
> > we also distribute a boot disk/supplimental disk with the
> cd for people who
> > can't boot from cd?
>
> I we should; many people may want to run Linux on one of their old
> computers, most of which will not support booting from CD,
> others won't
> know how to enable it.

People who are installing onto bare machines (without an OS already)
will probably have relatively new machines that support booting from
CDROM.

People with older machines will already have an OS installed. Since,
we're talking about Intel machines here - that OS will almost certainly
be Windoze but may be one of the Intel Unixes (i.e. Linux, FreeBDS,
Solaris, SCO, etc.) - anybody using a Unix box will know a reasonable
amount about Unix and will be able to follow instructions to run
dd to create a disk. Anyone using Windoze will be able to click on
an icon which can run rawrite to write a boot disk for them or even
fire into an install directly using loadlin.

This deals with the majority of cases with a minimum of effort and
without the need to distribute floppies.

> > Or do we create a long winded readme file that explains
> > how to create a boot/supp disk from each os?  And that
> assumes people already
>
> Just use one boot disk, choose an OS to put on it, as it is a
> boot disk,
> it needen't be platform specific.

As it is a boot disk it should just run directly into the install.
You shouldn't need a supp disk for a CDROM install.

> > have an OS installed to view the readme file.  Or do we
> include a sheet of
> > paper explaining how to create the disks?  There's more
> than just burning the
>
> Couldn't we include basic instructions on the CD cover, like:
>
> 3 easy steps to install Independence:
>
> 1) Insert floppy disc in drive,
> 2) Turn on computer,
> 3) Follow on screen prompts.
>
> For more detailed help, mail
> <insert-help-mail-address-here-(perhaps one
> which forwards to this mailing list, or maybe a seperate
> mailing list?)>
> or visit our web site on <htt://independence.seul.org/>.
>
> This could be printed next to the logo/cd front cover (if
> there's going to
> be one), then just folded over and cut out.

Inside front cover of the Jewel case.

Anybody feel up to doing some artwork for the front cover
and the CD?

> > cd that we need to think about.  Also, how do we send the
> cd's?  Standard
> > mail?  UPS ground?  People's choice?
>
> That depends on where it's going, the cost and such. It
> should probably be
> down to an agreement made between the distributor (the person
> burning the
> CD), and whoever is buying it.
>
> > We need to start working on the details of distributing Inde.
>
> It seems to me we're doing that at the moment! :)

I'd say so.

Mike