RE: Inde CD

> >Don't believe this to be true. The RedHat bootable CDs boot using the
> >same
> >boot image as the floppy disk image. Jean has a modified floppy disk
> >image
> >that installs from a CD - all you need to do is write the CD
> with that
> >image on it in such a way that it boots the floppy disk
> image exactly as
> >if you'd booted from that floppy.
>
>    And when it asks for the Supp disk? :-)  I just want to
> know it works
> before pressing coasters. :-)

Does Indy require a supplementary disk for a CD install?
RedHat 6.0 doesn't require a supplementary disk for any install
any more - although I think there are two boot images - one
for CD and one for network install. Remember you don't need
to support any installation type other than CD for a bootable
CD - it doesn't really make sense to boot from CD then install
from an ftp site!

Do you just have a CD writer or is it capable of using CDRW
media - when burning a new CD for the first time I normally
burn to CDRW for testing then burn to CDR once I've got it
right. I'm getting the hang of it now though - I usually
get it right first time.

> >say a short instruction sheet rather than on the label. The
> label on the
> >CD itself should be bold and to the point - just the name,
> logo, version
> >and release date i.e. Linux Independence 6.0-0.2 September ?? 1999.
> >Additionally it would be a good idea to include the Indy URL
> on the CD
> >itself.
>
>    I was unclear in my statement.  I ment Jewel insert when I
> said label.  I
> have no label printer, nor do I plan to. :-)  The CD will be labeled
> Verbatim with hand Written Inde 5.2.0.1 on it. :-)

I don't have a label printer but CD labels look really nice when
printed on a colour InkJet printer and stuck on.

> >Talking of Jewel cases what are people thoughts on Jewel
> Cases? - should
> >the Indy CD be supplied in a jewel case or leave it up to
> the individual
> >distributor or ...
>
>    I put everything in jewel cases so I can read the sides.
> :-)  It also is
> a good place for instructions.  And with no cases, does
> someone have to buy
> cardboard ones?  I wouldn't even know where to look.

Nor I - but it seems quite common amongst the cheaper distributors
(i.e. the likes of CheapBytes - I guess it keeps costs and postages
down - also it's possibly more environmentally friendly but that's
probably not the main consideration of CheapBytes. ;-)

Not that I think we should distribute anything that looks cheap.
I think a nice Jewel case with well done, good quality printed
inserts look much better and gives people a better feeling when
they open the package than a CD in a paper or card case.

> >Also, make the CD readable with long file name support under
> as many OS
> >as possible. This would make life easier for people who want
> to read any
> >included Electronic Documentation before installation and
> for creating
> >boot floppies if neccessary.
>
>    I burned 5.2.0.1 in Joliet.  It works fins in Linux, Solaris, and
> Windows.  I recommend that we stick with this "least common
> denominator" of
> Microsoft's. :-)

I agree - I have one machine that runs Linux all the time but doesn't
have a CDROM drive or a keyboard or a monitor, and another machine
I boot between Linux and Windows as neccessary - It really annoys
me when I can't see the long filenames under windows - usually when
I'm in a hurry and trying to quickly add a package to my Linux
server.

> >   ...   Ideally a directory with a program which
> >can automatically create a boot floppy for each OS. Windows
> could be a
> >.bat file that runs rawrite with the floppy image. Linux a
> script which
> >calls dd - would work on some other unixs as well - anybody
> have a list
> >of
> >floppy disk device names under Unix variants. Anybody want to come up
> >with methods for other OSs? Mac? OS/2? ;-)
>
>    I think this is a little much.  This is a lot of work for
> a VERY small
> number of people that want to try a new OS, but have no CD
> boot support.  I
> think instructions are enough.  Most people who could not
> follow them would
> have a "canned" PC anyway.

I was kidding about the others OSs. Not about Linux and Windows
though - that shouldn't be too much work really. Supporting
Windows autoplay isn't really that difficult either - whether
you want a CD that will automatically fire up the Linux
installation when you put into a Windows machine is another
matter - thoughts anyone? ;-)

> >Give the choice to the guy receiving the package. Ideally
> give the option
> of
> >a standard delivery (should be reasonably quick but not too
> expensive.)
> >or guaranteed fast delivery (very quick - preferably next
> day but at a
> >price).
> >Obviously this depends on the shipping options available in
> each part of
> >the world.
>
>    I still say let the distributor decide what he wants to
> do.  Some places
> overnight may be more trouble than a distributor wants to put
> up with.  Just
> have a link on the web page that also says what delivery options are
> available, if any. :-)  At worst, have an overnight link that
> goes to the
> closest distributor that offers that form.

That's what I meant - didn't really put it that well - offer whatever
is easiest for the distributor - if possible and it makes sense give
the customer the choice.

Mike