Re: Inde CD

>Don't believe this to be true. The RedHat bootable CDs boot using the
>same
>boot image as the floppy disk image. Jean has a modified floppy disk
>image
>that installs from a CD - all you need to do is write the CD with that
>image on it in such a way that it boots the floppy disk image exactly as
>if you'd booted from that floppy.

   And when it asks for the Supp disk? :-)  I just want to know it works
before pressing coasters. :-)

>say a short instruction sheet rather than on the label. The label on the
>CD itself should be bold and to the point - just the name, logo, version
>and release date i.e. Linux Independence 6.0-0.2 September ?? 1999.
>Additionally it would be a good idea to include the Indy URL on the CD
>itself.

   I was unclear in my statement.  I ment Jewel insert when I said label.  I
have no label printer, nor do I plan to. :-)  The CD will be labeled
Verbatim with hand Written Inde 5.2.0.1 on it. :-)

>Talking of Jewel cases what are people thoughts on Jewel Cases? - should
>the Indy CD be supplied in a jewel case or leave it up to the individual
>distributor or ...

   I put everything in jewel cases so I can read the sides. :-)  It also is
a good place for instructions.  And with no cases, does someone have to buy
cardboard ones?  I wouldn't even know where to look.

>Also, make the CD readable with long file name support under as many OS
>as possible. This would make life easier for people who want to read any
>included Electronic Documentation before installation and for creating
>boot floppies if neccessary.

   I burned 5.2.0.1 in Joliet.  It works fins in Linux, Solaris, and
Windows.  I recommend that we stick with this "least common denominator" of
Microsoft's. :-)

>   ...   Ideally a directory with a program which
>can automatically create a boot floppy for each OS. Windows could be a
>.bat file that runs rawrite with the floppy image. Linux a script which
>calls dd - would work on some other unixs as well - anybody have a list
>of
>floppy disk device names under Unix variants. Anybody want to come up
>with methods for other OSs? Mac? OS/2? ;-)

   I think this is a little much.  This is a lot of work for a VERY small
number of people that want to try a new OS, but have no CD boot support.  I
think instructions are enough.  Most people who could not follow them would
have a "canned" PC anyway.

>Give the choice to the guy receiving the package. Ideally give the option
of
>a standard delivery (should be reasonably quick but not too expensive.)
>or guaranteed fast delivery (very quick - preferably next day but at a
>price).
>Obviously this depends on the shipping options available in each part of
>the world.

   I still say let the distributor decide what he wants to do.  Some places
overnight may be more trouble than a distributor wants to put up with.  Just
have a link on the web page that also says what delivery options are
available, if any. :-)  At worst, have an overnight link that goes to the
closest distributor that offers that form.

            Lee