Re: Kernel 2.2.2, include?

> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:17:15 +0000
> From: Kevin Forge <forgeltd@usa.net>
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
> >
> > It is also a pity that every distribution is using its own PPP
> > configurator.  This is an area where if Linux people used a single
> > mechanism it would be possible to ask providers to deliver PPP
> > connection scripts.  Linux is now a not negligible market share and
> > its share between networked users is still bigger.  Lack of a united
> > front and our minorty and hackeristic culture (we do it instead of
> > asking it being provided) is the factor who is impeding that we get
> > PPP configs from the providers.
>
> This sounds like LSB to me.

LSB was much more global.  Having a software base common to every
distrib is attractive but the risk is Linux will then move at the rate
of the slowest moving distribution.

However there is a couple of areas like PPP connectivity where I think
Linux would benefit from more unification: Linux users are now as many
as Apple users so we could ask to be treated with the same
consideration than Apple users.  But no distrib taken individually can
match Apple market share so no Linux connectivity kits from your ISP.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org