Re: Fwd: PIGLET: Red Hat Linux Beta Release Available Now!

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, JF Martinez wrote:
> >
> > Here we have a strategic choice in front of us.  Hurry to release Indy
> > 6.1 or start working on 6.2 basing on the beta so we can, hopefully,
> > release just after RedHat.
> >
> > Opinions?
> >
> How much of Indy's current base would need to be updated?

Look at what is suffixed Indy in the differential directory.  Then
there would be some texts mentionning RedHat in the install to remove
(and translate if we find people for doing it) Also I made the mistake
in previous releases to give bad priorities to software: basically
very critical things like X and kernel must be done at the very last
because people need the latest and greatest so building them soon will
force you to rebuild them later in case there is a new release.

There is also the issue of making Indy a multi-CD distrib as it seems
RedHat is not going to solve the problem for us.  I have given some
thoughts to it: the problem is that the software checks what is on the
CD before listing what is available.  We could solve the problem by
having it checking against a database.  But then there is also the
problem of chunks of the installation being needed _after_ the
software has been installed so either we copy them to disk, we simply
ask the user to reinsert first CD or we duplicate everything in last
CD.

> If we can manage to get all of the new features added and be able to
> get Indy released at about the same time RH 6.2 goes to it's release we
> will be not looked at as "old". I say go for it if time permits.
>
> I think I will start studying the Anaconda installer and learn how to add
> some of our own ideas to it.

It is in Python and this makes it relatively easy to understand.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org