Re: Fwd: Re: Need help for the Gcc problem

> Below are two more replies from the list. In the mean time I will wait
> and see if there is anything else that you may want to add. If I don't
> hear from you within a few hours, I will reply with the above.

Don't forget I live at french time.

> --
> R.G. Mayhue
>
>  ============================================
> Subject: Re: Gcc Problems??
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:12:41 -0600
> From: David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu>
>

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 10:34:45PM +0100, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > > 2)  Is it safe to use it to recompile the 2.2 Linux kernel?
> >
> > I haven't tried in a while, but in my experience, the 2.2 Linux kernel
> > always crashed when compiled with gcc 2.95 (it would not
> > boot). However, I'm not sure whose fault that is.
>
> Debian compiles its kernels with gcc 2.95, and there hasn't been
> any reported problems. I think 2.2.x (for sufficently low x) had
> some problems, especially when compiled by 2.95.

This is also my experience when gcc is 2.95.2.  The other ordeal of
fire is compiling the glibc and this I didn't try (I heard it fails).

> > > I haven't tried in a while, but in my experience, the 2.2 Linux kernel
> > > always crashed when compiled with gcc 2.95 (it would not
> > > boot). However, I'm not sure whose fault that is.
> >
> > Debian compiles its kernels with gcc 2.95, and there hasn't been
> > any reported problems. I think 2.2.x (for sufficently low x) had
> > some problems, especially when compiled by 2.95.
>
> I have also had no problems compiling various kernels (2.2.12 and above
> in the 2.2.x series as well as the 2.3.x series) using 2.95.2.  Using
> the current cvs'd compiler also works for the above kernels (I don't
> check everything every day, but it has worked whenever I've tried it).
>
> Of course, YMMV if you happen to be compiling something different that I
> am in the kernel.

I have compiled everything for all the variants of the x86
architecture when I built the RPM when compiling witrh 2.2.13 ad it
worked.  Of course I was unable to exercise the whole code.

I remember to have had a program who compiled on egcs and didn't on
gcc 2.95 but I don't remember if it was C++ (gcc 2.95 implements a
higher level of C++)

About GCC chenging I was not speaking of Gcc 2.95.2 going to gcc 3 or gcc
2.96 (major steps) but to 2.95.3 (bug fixes)

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org