Re: fonts, autofs and things

> From: "S. Lockwood" <sjl@chaucer.ece.ucsb.edu>
> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:36:16 PDT
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>

> > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, S. Lockwood wrote:
> >
> > > What kind of timeout did you choose for floppies under autofs?
> > > I am concerned that people could lose their changes to a floppy or even
> > > corrupt a floppy filesystem by pulling a floppy out before it got automatically
> > > unmounted; I read in the docs that you are still supposed to wait for it to
> > > be unmounted, because autofs does not disable whatever caching that makes
> > > umount necessary to begin with.
> >
> > CDROMs are "locked", ie you can't eject them while they are mounted. Is
> > this true for floppies ? ( pardon my ignorance ... I don't use floppies
> > except to boot ;-)
> >

> Nope, they are spit out mechanically -- no electronically controlled
> eject button. Good for getting floppies out when the system is not powered,
> bad for letting the OS "lock" them.

I was concerned about this too but I had not a clear solution.  I have
just remebered about the sync option who forces synchronous writing.
I will rebuild the RPM.  Would be simpler if we were using Macs who
lock floppies, unfortunately PCs have ever had El Cheapo floppy
readers.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org