Re: Sv: Sv: Synopsis

> Jean:

> >The Pi poem allows to know the 30 first digits of number Pi
> >
> >%description(fr):
> >Le Poème de PI permet de connaitre les 30 premiers chiffres de Pi
>

> Should be a breeze. There is one thing though: Time. I should be able to
> find the time for translating text, but compiling the RPMS etc. is something
> that I'm not to keen on doing. The best thing for me would be for someone to
> mail me the texts, have them translated and then sent back for
> "post-translation" use (compiling etc.).

When you download an srpm and do an rpm -U on it you get the spec file
in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.  This file contains the descriptions.
However I will put somewhere a tgz containing SPEC files to be modified.

> BTW: Check my thread regarding groups. That would be one way to solve my
> time problem...
>
> >The other one is ensuring that the texts seen at install time by the
> >danish user match those seen by the english speaking user.  The
>

> There must be a work-around...

The installs uses gettext and that means that whenever it has to
display a text it looks in a databse for the translation.  Emacs makes
realtively easy to build that database

> >About taking care of the people who fill the form in the website: this
> >form is ambiguous since it does not make clear that people filling the
> >form are supposed to have the intention of taking part in development.
>

> I've just downloaded the web site tar-ball. I'll check the form text and see
> what can be done...
>
> >But the job is about negotiating with those people who told they were
> >willing to do something for Indy.
>

> Negotiate in what way? Could you give some examples?

Try to convince him in becoming an active member of Indy and spending
a little time for it

> >No.  They have to be designed.
>

> Too bad I'm not a design guru :(
>
> >needs hours, or if it is supposed to be interactive but time elapsed
> >between two succesive screens is unbearable.
>

> I'm asking because I think there's too much stuff written in "compiler
> languages" like C, C++ and so on. Some programs written in C might as well
> be created as shell scripts and scripts are easier to maintain, although
> they may be a bit slower!

As long as the program is about manipulating files and/or it can be
easily reduced into series of wtandard commands (ie rm, find, grep)
then you are right.

But the shell is not really designed for more than relativeley
programs so when you are not in trhe case mentioned above you should
go for Perl or Python (Perl has more modules but Python is _far_ more
maintainable) instead of the shell.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org