Independence Linux loading errors

I have gotten Indy loaded on two different machines but I have some problems, a
couple specific to Indy, one more generic to X configuration.

In both Indy installs, when I got to the part of the script where I am to
indicate the location of the distro (HD install) I had three problems.  First
was defining the location - it is unclear that this is not the full path (ie,
not /usr/independence but independence in my case) and I spent a rather
frustrating hour trying to make sure that it was all there until I stumbled on
the correct answer by accident - this could be clearer in the relevant screen.
Second, the search for the RPMs is not very tolerant of naming errors - I
transferred the RPMs from my DOS partition but the directory name was degraded
to "rpms" rather than the "RPMS" that the install looks for.  The error was "2
bad directory" and I thought that I had gotten corruption in the transfer from
DOS to e2fs.  A clearer error message would be helpful.  Last, in both installs
I had a number of "missing package" errors which I just "OK"d - the only one
that I recognised that I think is correct is for vixie-cron.  These messages
could concern non-technical users - or did I do something wrong?

On the X configuration front, I may just have a retarded box.  My main Win
machine is an HP AMD K6-2 333 with 64MB ram and a 8000MB HD.  The sound and
video are on the motherboard and the documentation is very weak in describing
what card the video emulates.  I know that under Win98, the video steals 2MB of
ram for higher resolution/color depth but I assumed that there was also VRAM on
the board.  When I try and configure X, I select "generic" for my video and I
have tried a number of permutations on the amount of VRAM.  The autoprobe
doesn't work, which is why I have to select the memory amount by hand.  When I
run startx or xinit, it runs through the initialization then craps out with a
no server/no screens error.  Is there something that I need to know for
Xconfiguration or is my machine retarded (it has a WinModem which I *know* is
not supported by Linux - yet? :-).

Thanks for your help,

Brian Wiens

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> >I was loading Independence Linux when it returned an error.  Err 2 bad =
> >compression or something or other.  Could you advise me on what to do. =20
> >

> Most likely, the floppy you burned the image onto had a bad sector.
> Try a newer floppy, or verify that the disk copy was successful (if you
> tell me how you're doing the copy, I can give you more specific ideas).
>
> --Roger
begin:vcard
n:Wiens@Algonquin;Brian
tel;work:(613) 727-4723 ext. 5799
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Algonquin ITS;IVR Project
version:2.1
email;internet:wiensb@algonquinc.on.ca
title:Project Manager
adr;quoted-printable:;;Algonquin College=0D=0A1385 Woodroffe Avenue;Nepean;ON;K2G 1V8;Canada
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
fn:Brian Wiens
end:vcard