Networking, masquerading and a little idea

Here is my /usr/lib/sendmail-cd/cf/config.mc

=========================  BEGIN =================================
include(`../m4/cf.m4')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS', e9')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(agnes.faerie.fr agnes localhost)
FEATURE(genericstable)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
define(`confCF_Version',`Mon CF - 25 avril 1999')dnl
define(`confCon_EXPENSIVE',`True')dnl
define(`confME_TOO',`True')dnl
define(`confMIME_FORMAT_ERRORS',`True')dnl
define(`confCOPY_ERRORS',`Postmaster')dnl
define(`confDEF_CHAR_SET',`ISO-8859-1')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp8:[mail.club-internet.fr]')dnl
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN',`24h')dnl
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
============================ END ========================

You replace the GENERICS_DOMAIN line by one containing your host name
and then in the SMART_HOST line the name mail.club-internet.fr by one
containing the host name of the mail server of your ISP.

Then from the /usr/lib/sendmail-cd/cf/  (ONLY) you run
"m4 config.mc /etc/sendmail.cf"

Then you create a file named /etc/genericstable with lines like this

jfm:	 jfm2@club-internet.fr

(caution tha chard efter jfm: must be a TAB not space)

The you run

 /usr/sbin/sendmail -bi -oA/etc/genericstable

You restart sendmail and that is all.

Now it would be trivial to make all this automatic with the user
entering his ISP's hostanme, his usernames and how they are
translated.  The name and aliases of the box can be deduced from
/etc/hosts

If in addition we do what is needed to be done with fetchmail then we
would have a complete mail solution for the private user (some mail
readers don't neeed this but they are not so great when serveral
people in house need mail access).

Now if during install we offer the user to configure PPP (and where is
the modem) we should get the private user being able to ask for help
five minutes after completing install.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org