Re: Newbie Idea

> Donovan Rebbechi <elflord@pegasus.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> >On Mon, 3 May 1999, Brian Wiens wrote:
>
> >[ snip ]
>
> >shrinking partitions is extremely difficult to do reliably, and probably
> >requires nonfree software ( such as partition magic, which Caldera uses
> >btw ...  )
>
> >The other ideas are probably fairly easy for a C programmer. Hacking the
> >install is a worthwhile task, but until a C programmer steps forward,.
> >we're stuck. If only the install was written in perl, maybe I could do
> >more (-;
>
> >cheers,
>
> >-- Donovan
>
> I've been looking at the install source code since I downloaded it. I haven't
> got to much to go on yet because the source is rather long (many files) and
> not much in the way of comments. I may be able to add some better instructions
> for the user at present. I'll know more later. One thing to keep in mind is
> that anything added to the the image will need to still fit on a floppy.
> That's one comment that is in the source!

It looks like the 6.0 install has been split into network installs and
non-network ones plus I have heard of three floppies.  It seems we
would have much more lattitude for adding featues (there were only 3K
free in 5.2).

> I'm also looking into hacking Kdm, adding a menu so the user can choose what
> WM to use. I like kde because of the shutdown menu, this will be similar.
> Right now I'm busy tring to straiten out my $@*#+! e-mail! I missed some of
> this thread, but I thought I would respond. I hope to be that C programmer
> your talking about. I'm not the best...but I seem to be all we've got. Anyone
> else want to help?

Beafore getting a CD I am unable to try it but it looks like RedHat
6.0 will allow you to configure the XDM clone you will use and in
addition to select either at login time or later the UI you will use.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org