Re: QNX RTOS? (Apologies for off-topic!)

Den ons, 12 maj 1999 skrev du:
> > Matt & Kim wrote:

> > > And yes, it does everything they claim and then some. Looks very
> > > impressive. Unfortunately,  it's also quite commercial -- meaning no pay,
> > > no play. When I talked to them (a year ago) they weren't interested in
> > > anything outside scientific/large-commercial operations. Rumour has it QNX
> > Maybe what you're looking for is PicoBSD, that is, if you're looking for
> > a free one-floppy unix-distro.
> >

> There are several one floppy Linux distros who don't present the same
> danger than BSD for being a Trojan horse to free software.  Affairs
> like the propriatariztion of software towards the end of seventies and
> the more recent try to proprietarize X should instruct us about the
> dangers of having proprietary software use a BSD-like base (unpaid
> work) and then killing it (it failed with X but it worked in many
> occasions).  In France we say "expelling someone throuh the door and
> having him returning through the Window".
>
> Personally I think we should avois promoting BSD-licensed software
> just for the sake of being ecumenics when there is an equivalent GPLed
> product.
I wasn't really trying to be ecumenical, I just heard good things about Pico.
I respect your opinion of course but I think it's bit fanatical. I heard a very
inspiring lecture (on Realvideo) by Poul Henning Kamp who is a FreeBSD coreteam
member, and I'm a bit tempted to try out FreeBSD - someday. I disagree with his
opinion of the GPL tough, it was basically: "Communism is dead, RMS is a
communist, ergo RMS should go die". It sounded like he was a bit annoyed that
GNU/Linux had become so successfull, although of course he gave other reasons
for it :-)

I don't think FreeBSD will ever be a Trojan horse, but when you think about it,
FreeBSD is the Debian of BSD, but their Redhat is Solaris!

--
mvh/best regards
Birger Langkjer