Re: Creative Labs+ Mpeg decoding

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, JF Martinez wrote:

> I have heard of Creative Labs releasing drivers for DVDs under Linux.
> Licensed under GPL.  Could someone investigate what we woumd have to
> do for adding them to Indy.  Personally I would kill (processes) for
> that kind of thing in Indy.
>

> Second: This afternoon I saw someone watching an Mpeg movie under
> Windows.  It was full screen and animation was fluid but when trying
> to view it under Linux using aktion on identical hardware I was only
> able to get a stamp sized image, under 1 frame per second and in
> addition parts of the image were not displayed in order to avoid
> unsyncing.  This was on a 400 Mhz Pentium II.  In other words "aktion'
> is very bad propaganda for Linux at least when viewing mpeg files.

Xanim (and thus aktion) only displays MPEG by accident.
If you want a nice MPEG movie player, I'd suggest MPegTV, but it's
shareware.

> I have heard lokigames (www.lokigames.com) has a _far_ better Mpeg
> viewer and that this available under GPL.  More exactly I have seen
> the initial sequence of Myth II and it was as fast and good quality
> as Windows Mpeg players.  We really need it in the distribution so I
> would need someone checking the licensing isues and in cases it is
> distributable than retrieve it from Lokigames site and either
> packaging it or at least testing it and then letting it in
> ftp://ftp.seul.org/independence/incoming for packaging by someone else.
>
> --
> 			Jean Francois Martinez
>
> Project Independence: Linux for the Masses
> http://www.independence.seul.org

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)