Re: cron job?

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Stefan wrote:
First I would like to welcome you to the Independence Project. Your
input is welcome and valued.

> I had a problem alike once; it was a "find" job, ran by updatedb, by
> cron by anacron etc. This was a little noisy, slowing down the system
> etc., but it was harmless. What you say sounds harmful.

Part Two: After I managed to post to this list it started again and
this time I could not manage to do much of anything. So got some much
needed sleep and checked on it when I awoke. I awoke to find the system
froze. Responding to no keyboard or mouse input. I had no choice but to
power off the system and reboot. It recovered Okay and seems fine
now. (sigh)

> I dunno what you've got, but this is what I did to solve my "mysterious
> process": I had a non-X command line interface open under the "root"
> login. Every time the mysterious process started, I switched back to
> this CLI immediately and typed in "ps ax >ps1.txt". This dumps the
> process list to the textfile ps1.txt

I'll try to keep the 2nd session open to dump the file if needed, but
the problem may be getting to it. Any commands are very slow to
respond. Even switching to another virtual terminal is hard. I may keep
the command typed in at the prompt so I will only need to switch to the
2nd session and hit [enter].

> After having collected some textfiles, I compared them. There was one
> "find" process that kept coming back. I knew "find" can be responsible
> for such noise, so I guessed this was the process I was looking for.
> With that info, some newsgroup people could help me on.

Thanks for the suggestion Stefan. I hope I get to use it next time!

> So please do this check first. Maybe you'll find that your computer is
> defragmentating or whatever... First find the process, then we'll think
> about where it came from.

Jean, dose Indy 0.8 have the ext2 defragmenter installed?

--
R.G. Mayhue
rgmayhue@serenesoftware.com