Re: cron job?

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, R.G. Mayhue wrote:

> If this is some sort of "cleaning" job going on here, and if it affects
> me in this manner, I would assume that sooner or later someone else will
> be affected also. If they have not already. It is very annoying and
> can make you madder then @#%$ when all your work is lost.
>
> Any helpful ideas? If it's something that will affect all Indy users,
> it will definitely need fixed ASAP. I have checked all the log files I
> can think of and I'm....
>
> Clue less in Florida

Have you tried looking at the crontabs? (Try 'man cron')
It gives a list of the processes run by cron, comparing this to an output
from ps ('man ps') will show you what is causing the problems.

I use the CLI exclusively, and I do get lots of disk activity, it tends to
be around 3am, so it doesn't bother me very much. If I am using the
machine then, I run top, it normally shows the process using the most cpu
cycles as being a find command. If I'm feeling generous I leave it running
and go to bed, else I kill it.

On my old install, I had top running on a spare tty, so if I wanted to see
what was going on, I just ALT-F7 and it showed me an upto date process
summary. top is a really cool program, I suggest you take a look at it.

I did write write a file on how to use top and similar progs for
Attrition.org's technical area, but AFAIK Jericho hasn't got round to
uploading it yet. :(

David
| David M. Webster '------------------------------' (aka cogNiTioN) |
|===| I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! |===|
| <cognition@bigfoot.com> |-|===========|-| http://www.cognite.net/ |
`===========| I walk to the beat of a different drummer |==========='