Re: Web site, SSI, SSH, and Windows SCP

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, R.G. Mayhue wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> >
> > I see. And the page could be sucked into another page via server side
> > includes. That would work ( actually , it's the kind of thing they're good
> > for )
> >
> Okay, good. But would I need to include any HTML or could it just be
> plain text?

If you included the text file in the page like:

<PRE>
< #include "page address"> [Or whatever the correct directive is]
</PRE>

It should work. It might work without the <PRE> tags, tho.

> > > of the progress of the project to a
> > > designated area of the site that requires no SSH or other encryption,
> > > a script like Roger's
> >
> > I am not sure what kind of "script" you are talking about. Allowing
> >
> I was refering to part of the scripts Roger spoke of. Meaning if I would
> upload a file to the ftp incomming directory (or a special directory
> set up for this purpose) a script that would check for any new files
> every 15 min and move them to the proper directory on the web site
> automatically.

The way I read the post that described the script was that it would 'make'
the files in the web directory, and sub directories of it. I do not think
that a script that copies a file from a anon ftp dir to the website
directory is a good idea, no matter how much it processes the file. It
would enable anyone with knowledge of it the ability to put ANYTHING on
the server.

I don't think that Roger's script does this.

I think that Roger's script is a good idea, and would probably be worth
looking at. It sounds like it does almost what the one I described does,
except that it can be automated using cron. If it was automated, then
there would be no problems with people having to learn how to use it. They
would just have to understand that they put a file in the directory, run
the command (or wait for cran to do it), and the command will include the
header and footer and some formatting to the file.

But then again this script I'm writing will enable people without SSI
compatiable servers to mirror and work on the site.

> > concerned about scp, I suggest ftp-ing to an incoming directory, then use
> > an ssh-telnet  session to move it to the right location. ( if you need a
> > free ssh client for windows, try ttssh )
> >
> I have ssh installed, but wouldn't I need a logon and passwd for the
> telnet sessions?

Probably. I don't think a group logon exists on cran, does it?

David
| David M. Webster '------------------------------' (aka cogNiTioN) |
|===| I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! |===|
| <cognition@bigfoot.com> |-|===========|-| http://www.cognite.net/ |
`===========| I walk to the beat of a different drummer |==========='