Re: Web site, SSI, SSH, and Windows SCP

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, R.G. Mayhue wrote:

> Okay, good. But would I need to include any HTML or could it just be
> plain text?

Plain text is fine. Apache doesn't really care about the format, it just
sucks the included file into the page.

> I was refering to part of the scripts Roger spoke of. Meaning if I would

I don't think Roger spoke of any such script ( I just went through his
posts ).

> upload a file to the ftp incomming directory (or a special directory
> set up for this purpose) a script that would check for any new files
> every 15 min and move them to the proper directory on the web site
> automatically.

This is a bad idea IMO. It allows anyone ( with or without an account ) to
upload webpages to the server. This is as good as a back door.

> > an ssh-telnet  session to move it to the right location. ( if you need a
> > free ssh client for windows, try ttssh )
> >
> I have ssh installed, but wouldn't I need a logon and passwd for the
> telnet sessions?

If you're doing anything useful,  Roger will probably give you an account
( if we ask nicely )

> No need for the windows client. Use Linux 95% of the time. Starting to
> wonder why I keep it around. (sigh)

OK. So this makes it pretty simple. You can just use scp for file
transfers.

> Yes, why not. Lets get started! I post it ASAP after I get the required
> info.

OK. Plain text is fine BTW. If you want to write html format, check the
web-howto page first.

> Oh BTW, welcome back Lee!

I second that.

Cheers,