Re: Web site, SSI, SSH, and Windows SCP

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > If you included the text file in the page like:
> >
> > <PRE>
> > < #include "page address"> [Or whatever the correct directive is]
> > </PRE>
> >
> > It should work.
>
> If you fix your syntax, it will work fine (-;

<!--#include file="foo.html"-->
OR
<!--#include virtual="/bar/foo"-->

Happy? ;)

> I agree. It'd be a back door.

I also doubt that it'd be allowed by the box admin.

> There are some potential problems. For example, this kind of thing can
> really hose the site if you are not careful.

Good point.

> Also, it will make it harder
> for developers to set up web mirrors.

True.

> And it makes it impossible to
> preview your results until you've run "make".

Yes, it does seem kinda inflexable. What if you're half way through
editing the header file when make includes it in the whole site?

> Personally, I'm happy with
> server side includes, though I am certainly very interested in the idea of
> using make ( btw, maybe you could build your system around this make based
> architecture. ). I could see it being useful, though  I do not want to
> begin a wholesale  adoption of it now.
>
> In a nutshell, I am very eager to see these scripts, but don't want to use
> them for the site now.

The old: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." rule. Probably a sensible
option.

David
| David M. Webster '------------------------------' (aka cogNiTioN) |
|===| I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! |===|
| <cognition@bigfoot.com> |-|===========|-| http://www.cognite.net/ |
`===========| I walk to the beat of a different drummer |==========='