Re: FAQ - revised ... again :)

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Kevin Forge wrote:

> We have had this discussion before.  We do not need to have it
> again.  We are based on RedHat because there are books on RedHat
> in the shops where our target audience buys.  We are based on
> RedHat because Our target audience can find RedHat and RedHat
> based packages in those same stores.
>
> We are based on RedHat because It's hard enough getting the newbi
> to install RPMs and DEBs and we want to minimize the possibility
> that he must install a tarball.
>
> Until something major changes we are still to be based on RedHat.
> Major includes Corel Linux becoming very popular early next year
> ( A possibility ).

IMO staying with RH is the best approach for the very reasons
above. But I also believe that there will be many more distributions
like Corel coming in the near future as a few of the high $$$
companies turn to building their own distro's all claiming to be "more
user friendly" then the other. There *is* going to be a future in Linux,
and they all want a piece of it!

I believe Independence will mutate somewhat as time passes and grow to
include all the best of the GPL'ed and overlooked, time tested
applications that people need. While the major distro's will start to
include more and more $$$ licensed applications and charge fees for
there licenses, Independence will stay true to the PEOPLE and remain
free. The PEOPLES Linux, built buy Linux PEOPLE!

Maybe then it will be time to merge and join forces with all of the
other "free distro's" and combine all of the good qualities of each so
that the very reason for the existence of Linux will never die and be
lost in a world of $$$ and profits. Stay the coarse!

--

R.G. Mayhue
rgmayhue@serenesoftware.com