Re: Restart after long silence

> jfm2@club-internet.fr on 17/09/2000 19:21:27
> > and (don't shoot)
> > make the user explicitly install VI ie VI would not instlled by default.
>
> One good thing about FreeBSD is that except for the enmergency boot-type
> situations, they use EE (Easy Editor) as the default text editor. Its easy. You
> could use Nano (GPL-ed PICO) I suppose, but I think EE's easier

Once /usr is monted you have a plethora of editors but one day in a
store I met a guy in trouble whose /usr was not being mounted.  I
could tell him how to fix but the only editor available was VI and
this I could not explain him as I could not explianed him emacs.  So
it is enough to have auser freizendly editor it needs to be in /bin
and not need libraries from /usr

> wrt multi-CD installs, Amazingly Mandrake 7.0 doesnt let me eject the first CD
> when it asks me to insert the second CD!!

I didn't have problems with 7.1

> Separate point - the type of user you are aming at is _precisely_ the very last
> sort of person who would ever search out independence. They are the sort of
> people who would just passively buy whatever distro is on the shelf . The sort
> of person who makes an informed choice and finds Independence is more likely not
> to need as much hand holding

This was clear to me from the start that is why I never wanted to base
on distributions you cannot find at the nearest superstore and that is
why I ever wanted to make possible peole being able to use Indy or
parts of it to improve their distro.

Another point is that I don't see me making a distro for those people
who in fact don't need help.  Call this my Robin Hood fibre.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org