Re: [kidsgames] Typing/Reading Tutors

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Chris Ellec wrote:

-->Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:56:55 -0800
-->From: Chris Ellec <info@linuxforkids.com>
-->Cc: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: Re: [kidsgames] Typing/Reading Tutors
-->
-->Robert Black wrote:
-->
-->> I guess I did jump the gun and did not even think about pre-existing
-->> programs. Maybe I should have just stated my observations that I was pretty
-->> intrigued that a 12 year old could be captivated by a typing speed test
-->> game. She was absolutly thrilled that she increased her speed and accuracy
-->> by 2 words a minute in two days. The other one that got her was a simple
-->> computer chess game. I guess this would fall under the heading of usability
-->> or behavioral observations. If this is outside the scope of the list let me
-->> know. Keep plugging!
-->
-->Anything regarding games for kids is welcome on this list. Don't worry and just
-->send out the ideas ! What you think might be irrelevant could be picked up by
-->somebody else as a great idea !
-->
-->
-->I would like to mention that the people at SEUL/edu have started a dozen mailing
-->lists on different subject to promote educational software, such as math,
-->documentation, advocacy and also edutatinement. That particular list has for goal
-->to create some educational and entertaining programs.

Unfortunately I've been following the seul-edu list less well then this
one.  I'd rather stick with kidsgames at the moment but I suppose that
could change.  Convince me as to why the seul-edu list is better.  Is
there any traffic on it?  Is it archived?  I don't want to duplicate
effort, but it would be effort to change it at this point I think.

-->Since we do not want to duplicate our efforts, maybe we might to think about
-->merging kidsgames into the SEUL list. What do people here think ?
-->

I think it would require people to change to that list or some type of
administrative jockeying that is probably unnecessary.  I'm a big believer
in not changing what is working and currently the kidsgames mailing list
is working.

Thanks for bringing it up.  This type of thing may come up more and more
as we move much of what we are doing into the sourceforge resources.  It
may well be that seul.org is better suited than either sourceforge or
smluc.org for housing the mailing list.  It may be that multiple mailing
lists are ok and that we just need to assign the task of monitoring the
different mailing lists for cross duplication of effort to somebody?
Anybody else have comments.

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org