Re: [kidsgames] picture format

William Kendrick wrote:

> Transparency with PNG should be easy.  Just save the file as a PNG.

I wish ...

> Actually getting transparency in an image in GIMP can be confusing.
>
> When you go to create a new image, select "Transparent" for the "Fill Type"
> (this is in the window that appears asking you for the dimensions
> (width/height), image type (rgb/grayscale), and fill type (background,
> white, transparent, or foreground), when you select "File -> New".

I've done that.

> At that point, you can use the eraser and actually get transparency (in Gimp,
> transparency appears as a checker-board pattern).

I don't see the relationship between the eraser and the transparency ...

> >From there, you can just "File -> Save As" then name it "something.png".
>
> To test whether the transparency stuck, close the file, then open it up
> again in Gimp.  The checker-board pattern should still be there...

It is, that what's driving me nuts ...

> BTW, I'm using Gimp 1.0.4 (which is the default in most Linux distros, and
> probably about the latest stable release).

I had that one, then I got 1.1.15, but the transparency had the same result.
I recommend the upgrade though because it has a lot more niffty options (like
writing text in a circle)

> Hope I didn't cover too much stuff you already know,

just the eraser part got me confused.

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

-