Re: [kidsgames] Generic adventure game engine

On 18 Jul 2000, Florian Hars wrote:
> Why should I contribute to something that claims to be an all
> encompassig ressource that is still accessible to the beginner, if the
> few informations present are given in a totally inaccessible fashion

Inaccesible? Just click the item you want.

> (as an alphabetic list that doesn't even give a clue as to the
> language a specific bit of information is written in)? To me it looks
> like a rather poor reinvention of the wiki concept, which too is not
> proven to work, of of everything2.

It's a good idea, It's an Encyclopedia, and if you remember from
your school days, Encyclopedias are fine.

> You seem to have a wrong conception of how open source development on
> the internet works. It is not a magical tool that make people do the
> work you want to have done once you put up a website that tells them
> what to do. You have to give contributors a compelling reason to
> contribute, producing yet another faq to end all faqs isn't one.

Ok, my point is that compelling reason for most people are not
long-goal-good-quality-products.
These are the compelling reasons:
- For the newbie programmer. Do something, with poor style but
maybe good looking.
- For the "geek". "Heavily technical" stuff, like handling
sockets and IO in C, unbearable C++/C structures , lots of graphics
(hardwired).
- For the "user". Well, the user never helps, and the more popular
Linux is, the more sad is to feel that _potential_ that the user
doesn't want to feed-back, sometimes for his own indirect benefit.

Open source is not Clever source, I fear. The Clever source (Gnome,
emacs , and stop counting) has been produced by clever individuals
with clear ideas of what they wanted to. How many Java based programs
do you know that hold classes that are not reusable ( a sin
in OO programming) ?

> Yours, Florian.

Pity  you didn't understand the underlying concepts TeEncontreX
has. Somehow is related to XML and the family of marking languages.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Atlanta: An entire city surrounded by an airport.

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org