Re: [kidsgames] Generic adventure game engine

Doug Loss wrote:

> Kirk Ismay wrote:
>
> > We've pretty much decided to focus our
> > efforts on getting StemBuilder working, with any luck we'll see it
> > finished in a month or two.
> >
> > The current version sort of works, but we're going to convert it to use
> > JavaScript instead of Python. Not because Python is "bad", but because
> > JavaScript is the "lightest" scripting language.
> >
> > By light we mean small enough to ship with the Entity distribution, so
> > it has been chosen to be the Entity "default" scripting language.
>
> All your website shows is perl, although it talks about other languages too.  Is JS
> now the default scripting language?  If so, what about the others?  Although I'm not
> a wonderful programmer, I prefer python to JS.  Heck, I prefer Tcl to JS.

It should be stressed that Entity is *modular*. We started with Perl
originally. The unix version currently supports 6 languages (including C
through a bit of a hack). You can also use: Perl, Python, TCL,
JavaScript, Scheme, and C. You can use in any language module you like.
You can use more than one language in the same program. You can even
call a function in one language from another. The idea is flexibility.

We're just going to include JavaScript because it small enough to
include with the rest of Entity.  If we included the necessary Perl or
Python sources, it would be something like a 8 Mb download. We want to
include a language so you can play with Entity "out of the box".

JavaScript is a decent langauge by itself.  It just got a bad rap from
people trying to get JavaScript enabled web sites to work in different
browsers the same way.

Personally, I like Perl, PHP, and C :)

--
Sincerely, Kirk Ismay