Re: [kidsgames] Generic adventure game engine

I finally took the time to look at the web pages I was refered
to in this thread.  Some look good.

jm wrote:
> > > I know SCUMM, AGI, Infocom engine (and old EAMON) as generic adventure game
> > > engine (for the ones that are documented at least). So if you have any
> > > other idea, they are welcome.
> >Do you mean you know how to program them?
>
> No, I mean I've played them a bit a long time ago...
> And recently did look again quickly at the creation of  adventures for them
> (and so how they work)
>
>   SCUMM is the Lucasarts game engine, used for example in the Monkey Island
> games.
>   There is a more or less free-as-a-beer but win9x and NOT open source in
> development at
> www.scramm.org There you'll find a quite good description of the
> possibilities of that engine (http://www.scramm.org/feature.shtml)
> This article is great too:
> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/programming/100397/languages1.htm
>
> There are some demos on the lucas ftp site if you want to try the SCUMM engine.
>
> AGI (and SCI) are the Sierra generic engines: they were used to make King
> Quest for example.There are AGI and SCI clones done or in project
> http://agisci.cjb.net/

For our project (The Light Princess), the FreeSCI interpreter, or
an extension thereof would seem to be the most promising of the options
I've seen: http://freesci.linuxgames.com/index.shtml  (I don't know
whether it meets my whole shopping list of capabilities, but the
games it supports are pretty close to what I'd like to be able to
do).

I'm also going to look at the specifications and documentation for
FreeSCI and SCRAMM to see what the features are.  This may give
me a much better idea of what features we actually want.

How about this as a starting point?  It looks like we'd probably
still need a "programmer-type" to work on the actual coding and
integration issues.  It might even be necessary to extend the
existing engine.  Personally, I think it would be reasonable
to create a Linux-targeted engine based on FreeSCI rather than
merely cloning the Sierra SCI.  I think the game should be
written to run on the free version, without reference to
whether the original Sierra engine can do it.

--
Terry Hancock
hancock@earthlink.net

-