Re: kidproof Local HTML browser (was Re: [kidsgames] BOUNCE kidsgames@smluc.org)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Doug Loss wrote:
> Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:
>
> > Something that I would REALLY like to see though, is
> > a kidproof Local HTML browser.

[ ... ]

> I may be talking past my actual knowledge a bit here (actually, I know I am), but I can think of
> a few possibilities.  First, there's Plume <http://tcltk.anu.edu.au>.  I can't get to that
> website just now, but you can also download Plume from
> <http://www.neosoft.com/tcl/ftparchive/sorted/apps/plume-0.6.2/>.  Plume is an HTML browser
> written entirely in Tcl/Tk, which should make it easily customizable.
>
> Next, there's Grail <http://grail.cnri.reston.va.us/grail/>.  It's an HTML browser written in
> Python and Tk, designed to be extensible.

But it's as slow as a wet week!

> Finally (and here I don't know too much about the possibilities), there's Gecko, the rendering
> engine for Mozilla.  That may be overkill for what you're looking for, but it's supposed to be
> embeddable in other apps.

IBM's OS/2 browser does _exactly_ what you want when in "Presentation Mode".
Menu click to get into the mode and a hot-key to get out of it.
( Conforms to the w3c standards too, something which no other does )
Dust off an older PC and put OS/2 on it and let the kids go.

Seeing as IBM is supposed to be supporting Open Source I wonder if they could
be persuaded to release the code for this so that it could be ported to Un*x
boxes. Listening Big Blue? It's got absolutely no commercial value to you any
more, so why not score brownie points by letting the world's children get their
first experience of the Internet using it.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      chris @ iopen . co . nz,  csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 WWW        http://www.iopen.co.nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <<--

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org