RE: kidproof Local HTML browser (was Re: [kidsgames] BOUNCE kids

On 24-Mar-2000 Doug Loss wrote:
> Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:
>
>> Something that I would REALLY like to see though, is
>> a kidproof Local HTML browser.
>>
>> I can't find a safe enough HTML browser for little kids to
>> use.  They all have all those buttons and menus across
>> the top. What I need is a browser that can be invoked
>> with a command line arguments that turn all the menus off
>> and launch it for an index file on the command line, like
>> this:
>>
>> mysterybrowser --nomenus solar_system.html

The only thing in netscape that can't be tucked out of the way is the menu.

>> so that the internal links will work, but there aren't any
>> distracting menus for stray mouse clicks.

Lynx has no danger of stray mouse clicks. :)

(clip)

> Finally (and here I don't know too much about the possibilities), there's
> Gecko, the rendering
> engine for Mozilla.  That may be overkill for what you're looking for, but
> it's supposed to be
> embeddable in other apps.

right now, gecko is a really really big GTK+ widget, so it'd be trivial to use
in another program. It has been bonobo-ized several times in the past, and the
gtk+/gnome guys expect it will done again. I think gecko is NPL'd, not GPL'd,
so I don't know what legal issues are there. The gnome guys said none, but I
haven't personally read enough of the NPL to know for sure (and I wouldn't
screw with anything without knowing the legal issues for sure)

(clip)

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org