RE: [kidsgames] BOUNCE kidsgames@smluc.org: Non-member submis

(clip)

> (my first computer was a vic20) talk about hard....
> I am so glad to finally have a computer that will tell me what is going
> on.

cbm made some neat systems back in the day :)

(clip)

> I don't know what most people in the linux community want but I
> personally think
> its better to read a little about what it is you are installing on your
> computer.
> Unfortunately I do know that most of the population could careless about
> learning.
> They want everything done for them. Now it seems that if you have to
> read anything
> to install something then its too hard.
> And to complain about something that is free, makes absolutely no sense
> to me.
> What is that old saying? 'anything worth having is worth working for'
> ???
> Well, I have found that its much easier to follow instructions, and make
> sure you have
> all the 'requires' before you try to install something, than to put up
> with all the
> blue screens and reinstalls that come with windows. not to mention the
> cost involved.

A lot of people think of computers as "magic boxes", which leads to an
expectation of automagic behavior. I've watched linux change a LOT over the
last half decade, and I can't say that I like it. If software isn't bundled in
RPM format, it might as well not exist for a large amount of users. They seem
to think "./configure && make all install" is way to advanced. I personally
enjoy doing things by hand and knowing what I have installed. Yeah, I use
debian and I use dselect to automatically download and install stuff, but I've
hand configured most of my files, and I have no problem doing stuff by hand
(like I did X4 last night, the stupid makedepend program they bundled was
dropping into an evil loop on xterms menu.h, so I even got to hack some files).
I think the issue is because windows and mac machines require relatively little
knowlege to administrate, the line between administrator and user have been
blurred and almost erased. I think that's a distinction that should be made and
respected and people should understand that they will need to learn and read to
do administrative tasks. You don't expect joe blow to be able to replace a
blown head gasket on their car, and you don't expect them to know how to make
the extravagant meal they eat at a restraunt. These things require little a lot
of training to do/make (administrate), and little to use. :)

> hahaha.. tell them it CAN'T be done.

hehehe, and get a response like "ok *shrug* lets go get some guinnesses, it's
wasted effort to keep trying :)"

(clip)

> Linux is going to be around a while.
> So, I guess what we should be doing instead of complaining is ask ours
> selves what can we
> do to make it move faster?
> Set a goal of learning something new each week, and maybe in time we can
> provide some
> meaningful contribution.

yes. Complaining serves no purpose but to annoy those who actually do the work.

> Donna Parker
>

> ps. an after thought...
>
> We have a private irc server here and I have been playing with tcl
> scripts for bots
> for our parrot group. (for entertainment) and I ended up putting it on
> our family
> channel too.
> I don't know if any of you have thought of this but my daughter has a
> ball conversing with
> the bot. I am still learning tcl so this is a bit slow but we are both
> having fun.
> You can make the bot a teacher of sorts too.
> This is a very simple thing to do but it takes time. and you have to
> watch them and see what
> they think the bot should do and add things daily.
> You can start with a basic AI script so you can see how things are done,
> then read about it
> and create your own.

now ya perked my interest. What kind of AI approaches are you using? just
searching/building a db on keywords to build a 'likely' reponse (like eliza)?
training a neural network? AI shtuff is cool :)

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org