RE: [kidsgames] UIs for kids

On 03-May-2000 Doug Loss wrote:
> I started up a separate mailing list a few months ago to work on
> guidelines for user interfaces that were specifically intended for
> kids.  I hoped to get some HCI (human-computer interfaces) people on the
> list, along with representatives from various desktop environment and
> window manager projects.  I didn't get too many HCI folks, but I did get
> people from KDE, GNOME, Windowmaker, etc.  We had a pretty good
> beginning discussion, but it has languished recently.  I'm mentioning it
> here in the hope that anyone interested in this might read through the
> archives <http://www.seul.org/archives/kidsui/> and consider joining
> in.  Take a look and do what you think best.
>
> --
> Doug Loss                 Even if you're on the right track,
> Data Network Coordinator  you'll get run over if you just
> Bloomsburg University     sit there.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Will Rogers

I'm going to say that the biggest difference between the UI needs of children
and adults is the strictness that good UI design is adhered to... I don't think
there should be much difference conceptually in how UI's are designed for
children and adults, it's just that UI's designed for adults are SO poor that
they're primarily unusable to young children... So any information gleaned from
discussion on that list should be applies to all UI design :)

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.

-
kidsgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org