Re: [kidsgames] Information source.

Hello,

On 1 Oct 1999 aleris@iag.net wrote:

> Quoting Jeffery Douglas Waddell <jeff@smluc.org>:

> > want to use
> > >
> > > This URL is pretty authoritative
> > >
> > > http://www.britannica.com/
> > >

> > Yes, but do we have any rights to the content.  As far as I know it's
> > copyrighted in ways that make it unuseable for our purposes.  I would
> > really LOVE to be proven wrong about that.
>
> I think the question is more about what we could agree on as a quality
> source of fact rather than something to directly quote from.

Hopefully OUR database ;)

>  I don't
> think copyright is an issue here unless we start posting tracts of quotes
> from Britannica.

I thought that was what you were suggesting.

> Quoting from Britannica is probably a bad idea in any case.

Agreed on many levels.

>  A lot of
> Britannica has a Western cultural bias.

Sure.

>  This was part of what I was
> asking about.  Particularly in history subjects, I think we need to be
> careful about discerning cultural bias from fact and evidence.

Well that is a scientific via of history and I tend to have that type of
view, I doubt that all historians via it that way.

>  We don't
> want to end up creating a system "geared" towards any particular culture.

This will happen regardless of what we do, therefore we want, I think, to
make tools that are capable of making that bias clear to the user.
Instead of saying the application/content has no bais let's just state
what the bias is, perhaps another field in the database for this?

> Example: Christopher Columbus.  We all learned in grade school about how
> he discovered the New World.  There is currently a trend in the U.S. to
> paint Columbus as an invading marauder against native Americans.  This is
> the kind of thing we need to avoid, this sort of cultural bias.  Fact is,
> Columbus went to his deathbed convinced that he had found the Indies rather
> than a new continent.  Amerigo Vespucci was a lot more responsible for
> the "discovery" of the New World than Columbus.

How do you present historical facts which are recorded from the point of
view of those that DID the recording without it being biased....  I don't
think that we need to, we just need to provide the mechanism by which the
bias can be taken into account.

> http://marauder.millersv.edu/~columbus/papers/butch-1.html
>

> Just some thoughts.

:) Thanks for sharing.....