re: [kidsgames] Dorling Kindersley

----- Original Message -----
From: malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr>
To: <robin.c.smith@bt.com>
Sent: vendredi 29 octobre 1999 17:48
Subject: Re: [kidsgames] Dorling Kindersley

 I doubt that they'd readily entertain Linux ports. I suspect the most
susceptible companies for porting advocacy are small ones where the smaller
Linux market could still possibly match their present revenues.

 A few years ago I remember in England that there was a company which ported
runtime systems for CDs such as this to RiscOS. At the time 60% of schools
were using Acorn Computers and hence these windows products didn't work.
This company managed to get hold of file format info etc. and write the
programs that go with the datafiles. So the user would buy this program
bundled with the windows version of the product and it would work. I can't
remember who they were though but I can ask around. I'll ask around to see
if anyone I know has contacts at DK as well.

 If you could get some kind of web petition going with lots of names on it
then that would be a great help.

 Perhaps this is an interesting way forward with this case. I see no reason
why they couldn't be persuaded to have some sort of open source or freeware
interpreter out there if it's going to sell their CDs.

 You can always suggest it.

 Hope that helps,

 Roman.

-