Re: [kidsgames] Re: the younger set

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Chris Ellec wrote:

> Jeffery Douglas Waddell wrote:
>

> > even harder question.  All the speech engines that I've been able to find
> > are either proprietary software or free software based on proprietary (or
> > really wierdly licensed) libraries of speech.  I've started a project
> > personally to do text to speech that is completely gpl based on a phonics
> > book by Samuel Bloomenthal (sp) but I've been very disappointed in it so
> > far.
> >

> I saw a post a while back (freshmeat ?) about a text to speech engine using
> /dev/snd and some GPL libaries, I'll see if I can find it again.
>
> ...(searching) ...
>
> ok, here are two of them:
>
> http://speechio.undef.net/

Haven't seen this one, hmmm, have to check it out.

> http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

I had a HORRIBLE time trying to get this going, never actually got it to
work.  It also seems to be fairly dependent (as emacs-speak is) on the
MBROLA language library which is NOT free (You can't bundle/sell the
thing, which has some good aspects but also means I can't find it one a cd
anywhere....)

> I haven't tried them.

Like I said festival gave ME fits.  I've heard of other's having great
success with it.

> Chris.

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell