Re: [Libevent-users] mysql client with libevent

> Beware: once you read thru the MySQL code you'll never want to use MySQL
> again ;) The apparent robustness of MySQL has little to do with the quality
> of the code and everything to do with the millions of people banging on it
> every day.

> particular scenario. YMMV. Also, I'm not familiar with prepared statements
> in MySQL. They're new, and based on the quality of the MySQL code I wouldn't
> imagine they bring has much benefit as on, say, Oracle. I highly doubt MySQL
> does speculative read-aheads, etc, based on prepared statements. Parsing
> cost is negligble anyhow, and there wouldn't be much latency to gain back by
> using prepared statements because you still need the back-and-forth during
> execution.

You know, I kind of doubted whether to use MySQL or not for my
project. I was a MySQL fan for about 10 years, never thinking about
why I picked it. Now that I have to implement a scalable and optimized
for speed web application,  after reading your comments, I understand
that there is no reason to use SQL for a specialized website at all.
And more after discovering that mysql's prepared statements won't give
me any benefit ....

I have searched quickly what database engine supports asynchronous io
and found quite a lot of good projects, one of them called Redis, it
is a sort of replacement for memcachedb. Nice stuff! Check it out:
http://redis.io/

I think I am going to discard MySQL and go for using Berkeley DB, I
can design specialized data fetches (sort if implementing my own
database server optimized for my app) completely in-memory with
occasional replication to disk. Like Redis.
Even though Berkeley DB still doesn't support non-blocking read/write
it makes sense to spend some time on writing thread functions for it
than coding the same on top of SQL, would it be MySQL, PostgreSQL or
whatever. I didn't test it yet, but seems like I could get about 2x to
3x speed up this way on all data fetches.

Regards