Re: [Libevent-users] mysql client with libevent

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 11:34:11AM -0500, Nulik Nol wrote:
> But ... I think it is over for me with SQL type databases. There is a
> big movement going on on non-relational databases and I think it is
> time to change.

Most if not all (widely used) relational databases these days expose some type of
non-blocking interface.

This depends on what you intend to do. NoSQL is not a big movement, it's
a trend. And with trends you get buzzwords. With buzzwords you get every
single developer hopping on the bandwagon (whether it's lack of
understanding the requirements, or pushed on them by management).

If you require only key/value type lookups; great - go for it!

If you need the flexibility of saying I want foo where bar is baz but
bar is not raz, with nosql you have to design your application to do
that. Something relational database developers have been doing for
years, and understand how to do it faster than you, me, or just about
anyone.

The general consensus behind the nosql trend seems to be "if it's all in memory,
it must be faster!". This is a fallacy if you know what you're doing
and understand how hardware works. Even the cheapest disks these days
come with over 20MB cache.

Crap, I just realized this is completely off topic - but my main point
is to gather requirements, and make a determination if you're willing to
risk flexibility for possible bumps in performance. Or just abstract the
frakk out of your query API so that it can be swapped out transparently
if needed (think DBI).

- Mark