Re: Games in Java?

On 16-Apr-2000 Dennis Payne wrote:
>> But, would people play such a game if it's in Java? Would anyone even
>> bother downloading it? Would you do it? It's no point in doing anything if
>> nobody will play it...
>
> I'm reminded of a comment in _Game Design Secrets of the Sages_.  Your
> first ten games are going to suck so you might as well get them out of the
> way.  (I'd find the exact quote and author but I can't grep through a
> physical book.)
>
> Personally I think a Java game editor is probably a good idea.  As for an
> actual game in Java, it would depend on the game.  I haven't played around
> enough with it to say what games would have resonable performance.  It
> might also be a good idea to consider how long until your game is playable.
> RedHat is now including IBM's JDK 1.1 and Caldera will be including JDK 1.2
> I believe.

I know mandrake and debian have ibm jdk 1.1.8, and debian has the hooks to use
the blackdown java2 (it's not a stable release, but it's been out for quite a
while and I haven't had problems. I have 1.2.2R3 from the very beginning of
december)

> In general though, I prefer native programs to Java.

I recall seeing java plugs in gcc, and hearing something about compiling java
source files into a native format (not JNI, but java->ELF). Anyone know what's
going on with that? I'd imagine that would create a binary that behaved very
much liked a threaded C++ program with rtti? Plus you can generate bytecode
from the same source, generate a small web-based teaser, a bytecode jar
distribution, and the binary distributions?

> (One of these days I plan on doing a Java game article for Open Game Source
> but unfortunately there is only so much time in the day.)

I think it was gamasutra.com that had some articles on game development in java
a while back, possibly flipcode? The biggest constraint on java I think is sun
microsystems chokehold on the API. I can understand their reluctance to let go
of their total control of the API with the kinda s*** m$ has tried to pull on
them, but moving to a system like OpenGL might be better? Another problem with
java is the newness of it I think...

> Dennis Payne
> dulsi@identicalsoftware.com

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.